Frequently asked wedding questions

• How long does the service take?
The service usually takes about 45 minutes, then time for photos needs to be added on. The ushers should be on duty half an hour before the start of the service, the groom and best man should arrive about 15 minutes before the start. The bride should arrive allowing time for photos to be taken before entering the church. It is worth bearing in mind that the rector and/or the organist might need to leave to take another wedding after yours.

• Who can be involved?
You will need at least two ushers at the door, bridesmaids / best man as you choose, someone to give the bride away and 2 witnesses. You can also have friends and family involved in the readings or play/sing music.

• Can anyone witness a wedding?
Yes, if they are over 18 years of age.

• May guests throw confetti?
Yes but please not in the church doorway as it blows back into the church and is difficult to clear up - outside in the church grounds or by the gate is fine. Also please request guests only use biodegradable confetti, no metallic pieces please.

• Can the service be videoed?
Yes, if you are having a professional videographer please let the benefice administrator know as there is an additional fee due to the organist of £40.

• Does the bride have to be ‘given away’?
No, if the bride chooses to be given away it can be by a male or female relative or friend.


• What are banns?
Banns are the public announcement of your intention to marry. It is a legal requirement that these be called in the church where you are to be married and also in the churches of the parishes where you are both resident. If you both live within this benefice, we will take care of the banns for you, but if one or both of you live outside the benefice you are responsible for organising the calling of your banns in those churches.

• Can divorced people be married in the benefice?
It is possible - this can be discussed with the Rector.

• What is the difference between a wedding and a service of wedding blessing?
The service of wedding blessing, properly known as ‘prayers following civil marriage’, follows a civil wedding ceremony at a registry office. It is not a statutory service and banns do not have to be read.